Saturday 10 April 2010

Bill Smoker - The Rockabilly DJ Podcast



http://rockabillydj.mypodcast.com/

I did a revieww on Bill Smoker's Rockabilly DJ podcast two years ago for the Rockabilly Hall of Fame. I said then and it still rings true now, this guy is probably the most prolific podcaster on the web, bringing out a show at least once a week.

As his site says, the show features "the hottest in Rockabilly, Rhythm & Blues, Hillbilly and 1950s style Rock'n'Roll, broadcasting from the world-famous studio under the stairs in Croydon, south London."

What I love most about his show is that he plays some tracks that you think, wow, I love that song, don't think I've heard that before. Then after every three songs he gives a quick run down on the trio and he say that was so-and-so on the Ultra Rare Rockbilly Volume 86 Cd and I think, shit, I've got that. So you then dig it out and play it to buggery for a few weeks.

Great shows of recent vintage have been, Look What The Postman Just Delievered No.7, Rockabilly Today and Got Rocking On My Mind, where I've come across such delights as George Weston (Don't You Know) and a stunning version of Banks of the Ohio by the Hodges Brothers. He also played a wonderful Onie Wheeler tune, You'e Getting All Over Me which isn't on the Bear Family CD of some years ago.

His podcasts are available to download either from his site (see link above) or direct from iTunes. Tune in and have a lsiten, you won't regret it.

1 comment:

Bill said...

The podcast has now moved to www.rockabillyDJ.com