Monday 22 March 2010

Rockin' Song of the Week No. 92 - Anson Funderburgh and the Rockets



Anson Funderburgh and the Rockets – Lemonade
(Rack 'Em Up - 1989 - Black Top)

White Texas blues guitarist Anson Funderburgh played with a pile of blues bands in the 70s and 80s including the Fabulous Thunderbirds on their Butt Rockin' album, but it was when he teamed up the Delta bluesman Sam Myers that all hell broke loose.

Funderburgh’s hot guitar and song-writing ability were the perfect foil for Missippi born Myers’ great down home vocal style. I’ve got half a dozen of their albums but it’s the first one I bought, 1989’s Rack ‘Em Up that’s still my favourite.

Lemonade is a stand-out for me, being a mid tempo blues stroller that has Funderburgh on fire and drummer Marc Wilson banging the skins for all he’s worth. Myers delivers a wonderful vocal before giving us a heavily amplified, stonking harmonica solo that the boys in Chicago would have been proud of. Pianist Matt McCabe just about steals the show with a great solo and some fine twinkling throughout.

“I’m looking for a woman, that only drinks lemonade, I haven’t found one yet, but I know there’s a few that’s been made”.

Recommended downloads: I’m Your Professor (see youTube clip below), Tell Me What I Want To Hear and Tell Me What Have I Done Wrong.


No comments: