Saturday 5 September 2009

Big Boy Bloater at Twinwood



This is the first time I’ve seen Big Boy Bloater in his own right, every time I’ve seen him he’s been leading the Rhythm Riot house-band. I expected him to be great and he didn’t disappoint. His six piece band are all quality musicians with two saxes giving a few solos to augment Bloaters’ own guitar breaks. He kicked off with They Call Me Big Boy Bloater and You Better Believe It. His vocals are strong and he has a good stage presence but it’s unquestionably his guitar picking that steals the limelight.

One More Time and I Ain’t Done Nothin’ Wrong were good but his brilliant version of Bobby Blands’ You Got Me was the pick of the whole show. The title song from his latest CD, That Ain’t My Name was strong and with his guitar sound is so reminiscent of Johnny Guitar Watson, Gangster of Love just had to be superb – and it was. His misses, Lil Liza took the lead on three numbers the best of which was Man Or Monkey.



He rounded an excellent set off with both sides of his 7 incher, Whammy and Double Whammy. I missed the encore but judging by the rest I’d say it was a hot blues with stinging guitar – just a hunch!

No comments: